Tuesday 29 April 2014

The UFO has landed

I started this quilt in 2006 with a tired, cheap sewing machine and very little knowledge about quilts.  If I didn't had the right tools back then, I had the right book ; "Patchwork Quilting and Appliqué - The complete guide to all the essentilal techniques by Jenny Dobson".  Learned so much from this one. 


When I started this quilt, I didn't have enough fabrics of different shades and prints to finish it.  I did manage to do 33 blocks out of the 81 needed.  Out of these 33 blocks, some were eliminated which left 28 acceptable blocks.  I had a little bit of stars to assemble.

new blocks


old blocks


Now that my stash is bigger and more diversify, I was able to whip up all the missing blocks in order to accomplish this:




Ohio Star Shadow.  Since they are calling for rain for the next 7 days, I hurried up and took a quick picture on this very windy Monday evening.  Some blocks are what I call "misfits" meaning blocks with two colours or tones that are so close to each other that the pattern is almost lost. To have an attractive scrappy quilt, I've heard you need to have 20% of misfits. Although they sure are shining bright in this picture, there's definitively some misfits included in here like the one in the middle.  (Maybe I should have eliminated the reds !!)  You can see the inspiration for this quilt on the cover of the book.  It is the one at the bottom right.
So, YEAH!   I have a UFO finished ... well,  almost.  I do have a backing ready for it but I think I'll need to stitch some pieces of batting together ... or go shopping.  Hmmmmm!!  : ^D  and then, I can start quilting!!   YEAH !  : ^D 

While I was sewing the rows together, I started needed a new project as a leader/ender which is now my primary project.  It's a new quilt for my DS1.  Glimpse of the fabric.




Until next time ... don't be shy ! ... SM ;^)LE

Chantal

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Love your quilt! Great use of color and value.

julieQ said...

That is such an awesome quilt!!! Love, LOve, LOVE!!!

Béa said...

Excellente utilisation des vieux blocs, le résultat est absolument magnifique, j'aime beaucoup, bravo !

Kath said...

that looks great. I wonder why we have the urge to point out anything less than perfect in our work? I think your quilt it just delightful, I love it.

Ruth said...

I love the Ohio Star quilt! I will have to keep it in mind for the future. I have tons of scraps to use up. Thanks for your lovely comment about my Civil War quilt!